Airport History
Home

Sherman Army Airfield was activated in May 1941.

 

Shortly after WWII, the Secretary of the United States Army, by the authority of Title 10, United States Code, Section 2667, executed a lease on behalf of the United States of America for the Department of the Army with the City of Leavenworth, Kansas designating the airfield on Fort Leavenworth as a joint use airport and that it would be known as Sherman Army Airfield and Leavenworth Municipal Airport. ICAO designation is KFLV.

 

The lease provided 7.79 acres of land and facilities for the exclusive use by the City of Leavenworth for civilian use by the general public for private general and corporate aviation use, and operation and maintenance.

 

The City of Leavenworth’s objectives are to have and provide aviation facilities and services to promote metropolitan economic activity and development and advance flying activities for its citizens, the public and prospective patrons and meet-exceed the competition of other cities in the aviation field.

 

The City Commission established, chartered and selected eight volunteer citizens and designated the Fixed Base Operator to serve as members of the Airport Advisory Committee (AAC).  The AAC assists the City Manager in executing and improving City of Leavenworth current and future general aviation activities, plans and programs.